Public policy polls, and even some news articles, about Amendment One demonstrate a lack of comprehension about the amendment.

Many believe it is a constitutional same-sex marriage ban, but it’s actually far broader: It will ban legal recognition of any unmarried couple, including heterosexual ones.

The amendment reads as follows: “Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state.”

Any couple that does not fit this narrow definition could lose partner and child benefits, domestic violence protection, and any right granted to couples by the state.

The distinction between “defining marriage as between a man and a woman” and “defining a relationship as marriage between a man and a woman” is subtle, but of the utmost importance.

Amendment One would pass if voted on today, although the majority of North Carolinians support legal recognition for gay couples; Amendment One could pass because people don’t know what they are voting on.

N.C. Amendment One: The Musical!, which attempts to correct such misconceptions, will be performed flash-mob style in the Pit today just after 12:15 p.m., in conjunction with the Race to the Ballot campaign’s arrival on campus.

While the musical does not “de-gayify” the movement, as shown by the gay pride flags and giant rainbow that appear during the show, it highlights the universal impact of this amendment by including heterosexual couples who protest it. Hope to see you there!

Rachel Kaplan ’14
Psychology