As the primary sponsor of the resolution creating the referendum on the UNC-system Association of Student Governments, I encourage everyone to vote “No” for the referendum, which will be on the ballot in Tuesday’s election.

For months, the oversight committee has heard disturbing reports from our ASG delegation detailing ASG’s extravagant spending on stipends, hotels and trips to Washington, D.C.

Out of its budget of more than $256,000, it spends only $11,875 on advocacy, a mere 4.6 percent. Nearly half its budget (more than $119,000) is spent on stipends, salaries and travel.

While the organization spends nearly $24,000 on office space, throws a $4,000 end-of-year banquet for itself and gives its president a $5,500 stipend, students suffer.

The Board of Governors has proposed a 13.5 percent tuition increase for Chapel Hill next year — an increase many students opposed, but ASG endorsed.

There is a better, cheaper, more effective way of advocating for students, but first we must end our relationship with ASG.

Join such groups as the Young Democrats, College Republicans, College Libertarians, GLBTSA and many more in voting “No” on Tuesday. There is a better way to advocate for students, so let’s build it together.

Marc Seelinger
Economics, Asian studies
Chairman
Oversight Committee
93rd Student Congress