SBP hopefuls shouldn’t let their ideas die out

I’ll admit, I’m not the most excitable person when it comes to the student body president race.

For some reason, I can’t seem to shake the notion that the student body president race is nothing more than a popularity contest by which future law school hopefuls compete for a nifty addendum to their resumes.

That’s a terribly apathetic view on the whole thing, and I’m not proud that I believe that. Still, that doesn’t mean I don’t bleed UNC blue, love this University, and want to see it prosper.

This is just me getting on my soap box, but I feel that once elections are over candidates should stop competing with each other and perhaps work with one another to affect positive change.

When it’s all said and done, a candidate shouldn’t drop off the face of the Earth, as is often — though not always — the case following a loss.

If you’re serious enough to run, you should be serious enough to stay at the forefront once losing.

Initially, I can understand that there may be some hesitance to incorporate your competition.

But, if UNC truly is facing challenges unrivaled in its history — and the candidates do acknowledge that — then they should take an approach that is unrivaled as well.

Tim has great ideas moving forward, Will has a strong history of campus involvement and Calvin has a unique training background and connections.

If a president is serious about making a change, he would be best-served to look to his competitors for the best chance to do just that.

Tariq Luthun ’13
Psychology