In response to Eshe Nelson’s piece titled “Generation Z brings entrepreneurship to the fore,” I’d like to clarify the role University Career Services plays in the UNC-ecosystem related to entrepreneurship.

Our mission is to help students clarify and attain their goals, and we work with students who are trying to determine if entrepreneurship is the right path for them. We have hundreds of these conversations each semester.

Our office also contributes to campus entrepreneurship through H4 and through support of the Chancellor’s Student Innovation Team and Carolina Creates (of which I am the staff adviser).

The one quote Nelson used from our twenty-minute conversation referred to our office’s desire to not duplicate and compete with existing entrepreneurship education available through various sources here on campus like the entrepreneurship minor, the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, etc.

Like many offices on campus, we are actively working to find a role that will allow us to best engage with the entrepreneurial goals of students. There are very positive things on the horizon for both our office and the greater University, and we’re excited to be part of it.

Gary Miller
Assistant Director
University Career Services