Vote ‘No’ to get out of ASG in today’s student elections

Today we have the potential to make a real change as a University, and we invite everyone to join us. The Young Democrats, College Republicans, College Libertarians, GLBTSA, etc. will vote “No” to ASG, and we encourage you to do the same (moreyouknow.org)

Every year, we hear promises of reform from those in favor of ASG. Mary Cooper’s supposed reform this weekend is a refrain echoed consistently by student body presidents and ASG insiders incapable of realizing it. These promises remain unfulfilled and students are tired of them. Reform has not come from within ASG; therefore, we must leave it to start anew.

Organizing on tuition with other campuses is not contingent on our membership in this organization. In fact, the ASG president’s seat on the BOG, the retention of which is the primary justification for those who defend it, has become a facade of student voice and a deterrent to real advocacy and organizing.

It’s time for a system that does not merely parrot the sentiments of the Board of Governors and unconditionally accept the status quo. The system currently in place is broken, and, after years of attempted reforms, we can only address our problems by making a new one, unencumbered by a placated bureaucracy and misallocated financial resources.

This was never just about the $1 fee. It’s about creating a system that works. Our coalition believes that the more you know, the more likely you’ll be to join us in voting no.

Zach De La Rosa ’12
Mathematics and Economics
Speaker, UNC Student Congress