I would like to express my disappointment in an article and picture The Daily Tar Heel published on Monday’s front page.

The headlining image was very personal and ultimately invasive to the basketball player Harrison Barnes.

Barnes was not the only person who lost. Furthermore, he was not the only person on the team who participated in the Kansas game — but the article would have you to believe otherwise.

I understand that the spotlight Barnes has been put under is one that comes with great responsibility.

However, it is distasteful to draw attention to this young man who has already faced a lot of criticism from the same people who are supposed to be supporting him — his fellow Tar Heels.

Don’t get me wrong, I do not think Sunday’s game was Barnes’ best performance. But as a fellow student, I understand that people are human and at times don’t meet expectations.

There is no doubt that Barnes is still young, and his game still needs growth. But please let the young man live.

The amount of pressure we put on our athletes — especially the men’s basketball team — is probably a lot less than the pressure they already put on themselves.

As members of the Tar Heel nation we are supposed to be a family — a support system.

While family members should be a little bit critical, it is unacceptable for a family to publicize emotional and devastating images of our very own in that manner. That is not the Carolina Way.

Irene Neequaye ’12
Global studies and
anthropology