Boyajian picks up clinching win for men’s tennis team against Va Tech

11581_0326_mtennis_williamsf.jpg
UNC Men's Tennis against UVA, Sunday, March 25th.

North Carolina senior Brennan Boyajian has won matches many different ways in his four years as a starter for the men’s tennis team.

Friday against Virginia Tech, No. 90 Boyajian clinched his match and UNC’s 4-3 victory on a point violation by his opponent, No. 89 Lucas Oliveira.

The other singles matches had already ended, and the Tar Heels were tied with the Hokies 3-3 overall.

“I’m feeling pretty good about that guy being on the court in that situation, even if it goes three sets,” coach Sam Paul said.

The match did not start off well for Boyajian, who trailed 5-2 in the first set but won four of the next five games to set up a first-set tiebreaker. He continued his hot streak by not losing a point in the tiebreaker to win the first set.

When leading 3-2 in the second set, Boyajian called a let, which is when a ball from another match interrupts play. Oliveira hit an overhead winner, but the referee ruled for the point to be replayed, which Brennan won en route to taking a 4-2 lead.

Oliveira held in his service game to cut Boyajian’s lead to 4-3, then threatened to even the score. When down 15-30 in his service game, Boyajian called an overhead winner by Oliveira out but was overruled by the referee.

The dispute inspired Brennan to win four consecutive points and move within one game of a victory.

“Instead of getting mad at the refs, we are taught to take it to fire yourself up and make your opponent end up being mad at the ref for giving them the call because it gave you extra energy,” Boyajian said.

The match lasted more than two hours and the heat was wearing down Oliveira. He was suffering from severe leg cramps, but could not receive treatment because he had already been attended to by the trainer earlier in the set.

Struggling to walk to even pick up the ball, Oliveira received a time violation warning from the referee. The Hokie served, returned ground strokes from the baseline and watched as Boyajian slammed a forehand winner to set up match point.

Oliveira again took too long to serve and the referee called a one-point penalty that ended the match.

“It means a lot to me, as a senior, to show some leadership on the court and get the decisive win today,” Boyajian said.

Boyajian celebrated the Tar Heels’ fourth consecutive ACC win with his UNC teammates and shook Oliveira’s hand while the Virginia Tech player lay on the court. He collapsed after the referee called the match.

“It didn’t take away from it, we still got really fired up after the match,” Boyajian said. “But it always stinks to see your opponent get hurt or be in pain before the match is over.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.