NCAA hands down bowl ban, scholarship reduction to UNC football

As the door finally closes on the almost two-year-long investigation into the North Carolina football program, the NCAA announced Monday that the program will receive a 2012 postseason ban, a reduction of 15 scholarships and three years probation.

Former assistant coach John Blake also received a three-year show-cause penalty.

NCAA representatives will be discussing the punishments in a 3 p.m. conference call, bringing a conclusion to one of UNC’s most damaging scandals — one that resulted in the firing of its head football coach, the resignation of its longtime athletic director and harsh criticism of its chancellor.

The University will hold its own teleconference at 4:30 p.m. to discuss the sanctions.

“This case should serve as a cautionary tale to all institutions to vigilantly monitor the activities of those student-athletes who possess the potential to be top professional prospects,” the committee stated in its report.

“It should also serve to warn student-athletes that if they choose to accept benefits from agents or their associates, they risk losing their eligibility for collegiate competition.”

On June 21, the NCAA released its notice of allegations for UNC’s football program, outlining nine major violations ranging from improper assistance from an academic tutor, impermissible benefits to players and failures of institutional oversight.

Today’s announcement comes nearly nine months after the NCAA sent its allegations to UNC. The exceptionally long waiting period before today’s announcement fueled speculation regarding the nature of the punishments that would follow those that UNC imposed on itself.

In its Sept. 19 response to the NCAA’s allegations, the University instituted a new social media policy alongside strict self-imposed sanctions. The football team vacated all wins from the 2008 and 2009 seasons and decreased the number of scholarships by nine over a three-year period. The University also issued itself a fine of $50,000.