Last Friday’s editorial, “An out-of-state solution,” shows a disregard for the explicit mission of the UNC system as a “public, multi-campus university dedicated to the service of North Carolina and its people.”

In my four years at this university, I met talented individuals from every corner of the state.

I expect that these connections will prove immensely helpful as I endeavor to shape a career that, I hope, will genuinely benefit the people of North Carolina.

Furthermore, charging a larger proportion of out-of-state students higher tuition to balance the budget avoids addressing the emergent national issue of rising college costs and continually increasing tuition.

Raising the out-of-state proportion will also dampen the protests of in-state students against steeply increasing in-state tuition.
This university is respected nationally, but still maintains a strong sense of mission and commitment to accessibility.

I mean no offense to my out-of-state colleagues; they are bright and extend our national influence.

Still, my in-state colleagues are just as bright and help maintain our historical focus.

What is worth more to us: a cheap budget solution or our values as a university?

Taylor Nipp ’11
B.S., Biology
M.D./Ph.D. candidate, entering class of 2012