A better atmosphere for the next football season

Despite the bowl ban next season, it’s essential for us as Carolina students to show incredible support for new coach Larry Fedora and our football team.

UNC needs to change the atmosphere of its football games — instead of treating the game like a social event, we need to foster the competitive environment that has so far only been seen in the Dean Dome.

Part of that is our fault as students — too few of us show up on time, a lot of us come to mingle with our peers and attention isn’t focused on the sport at hand.

However, if the CAA and Athletic Department are looking for a way to reenergize our fan base, give Carolina football a night game.

For years, UNC has played mostly afternoon games. We recognize a lot of this has to do with the fact that alumni bring in more revenue than students, and they prefer earlier kickoffs.

That being said, UVA, VT and even ECU have all scheduled night games against us this coming season and over the past two years.

These are considered prime-time events and become the focus of the season for many fans.

Why don’t we have that? If we are to get a home game at 8 or 9 p.m. against an ACC opponent, it’d easily be our biggest game next year.

Because we don’t play Duke at home next year, why not make the N.C. State game a night game? Larry Fedora and Carolina football deserve the best atmosphere we can offer and this is the best way to go about it.

Michael Hardison ’14
Political science, journalism