Of all the industrialized countries in the world, the U.S. is home to the largest number of people living with HIV. Our region is especially important because the South has the greatest number of people living and dying from HIV/AIDS.

Spending shortages are particularly severe in Southern states, where the epidemic is newer and funding has not yet been allocated to reflect the increase in cases.

One big obstacle America faces in addressing this issue is complacency. Our generation has been exposed to a perception that the illness is no longer a real problem in the U.S.

Ignorance about HIV/AIDS has facilitated the spread of the disease. As college students, we represent an at-risk age group that is under-educated about this public health concern.

Learning about risk factors and protection is crucial to our generation. To advocate for this important issue, the APPLES Civil Rights team is hosting a Drag Bingo Night on Thursday.

We will educate students and sign petition letters to send to the N.C. General Assembly to advocate for continued state funding for critical HIV-related services, including HIV prevention, life-saving medications and support to nonprofit organizations that address HIV-related social issues.

Join us at 7 p.m. in the Teague Basement to address this issue, often pushed aside. Without HIV prevention programs and adequate education about the disease, the number of new infections will continue to rise.

Emma Harver ’13 Global studies and
political science