Carolina Covenant’s new summer aid policy affects students on academic probation

The University’s preeminent need-based financial aid program has taken a hit, and it’s students on academic probation who will feel it most.

The Carolina Covenant scholarship program, which grants comprehensive aid to any student whose family income falls at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, has revised its summer aid policy to cope with the loss of a summer federal Pell grant and work-study funds.

Last year, scholars who were academically ineligible, approaching ineligibility or on academic probation could have their summer studies paid for upon entering into a contract with Carolina Covenant. Their loans were converted to grants at the end of the summer, meaning they didn’t have to pay them back.

Though any Carolina Covenant scholar can still receive loans for the summer term, the policy change excludes scholars on academic probation from having their loans converted to grants.

“We decided to be generous early on … but now we’re short on funds,” said Shirley Ort, director of the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid.

Students on academic probation are still eligible to return the following semester, which means summer school is not absolutely necessary for them.

“Probation students — we know they’re going to be back,” said Fred Clark, academic coordinator for Carolina Covenant.

Assistant academic coordinator Michael Highland said most scholars on probation elect to return in the fall rather than take summer classes, regardless of the policy.

Only about 10 took advantage of the offer last year, Clark said.

Administrators said Carolina Covenant’s promise that scholars graduate debt-free applies only to the fall and spring semesters, not summer sessions.

The proportion of students who qualify for need-based aid jumped from 35 percent to 43 percent in the past two years, Ort said.

Last summer, 1,840 UNC summer students with need received approximately $1.5 million in federal Pell Grants, she said. Congress eliminated those grants for summer study earlier this year.

Kristina Hsieh, a sophomore Covenant scholar, said she understands that the program has to deal with budget cuts, but the change is still disappointing.

“We still have financial need in the summer just as much as we do in the school year.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.