Doubles partners Featherson, McHale reunite

Doubles partners Shinann Featherson and Lauren McHale are glad to be back together.

After pairing up in high school to play in national and international tennis tournaments from Costa Rica to Germany, the two parted ways when Featherson packed her bags for UNC and McHale enrolled at Princeton.

This year, the pair was reunited when McHale transferred to UNC.

“She wasn’t happy where she was, and I just told her how happy I was here,” Featherson said. “I thought UNC would be a good fit for her, and I think she trusts my opinion.”

McHale’s decision has certainly paid off on the tennis court. The two have won nine straight matches during the past several weeks and climbed to No. 2 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association national doubles rankings.

But that winning streak came to an end Thursday against third-ranked Duke at Ambler Tennis Stadium.

Playing on court one, the Tar Heels’ best doubles team went back and forth with the Blue Devils for the first seven games before Duke reeled off five straight games to take the match 8-4.

Tied at four games apiece, the Tar Heel duo led the ninth game 40-15 while serving. The Blue Devils rallied to win the next four points and grasp the momentum. Featherson and McHale never recovered, dropping the next three games to lose the match.

“We pride ourselves on never giving up, but I think that could have been a turning point,” Featherson said. “We started making more errors after that.”

Featherson also admitted to being bothered by Duke’s style of play.

“They were more baseliners and not a traditional doubles team,” Featherson said. “Lauren and I are really good when both of us are at the net, and I think we let them play to their strength. We didn’t seize enough opportunities and ultimately they played their game instead of ours.”

Despite the loss, Featherson and McHale are confident that they have found a winning formula.

“I think we’re just in sync right now,” McHale said. “We know each other’s games really well. If she misses a ball then I’m right there behind her.”

The partners devote significant time at practice at least once a week to improving their doubles game.

“Putting the extra work in, loving each other, and being best friends on and off the court is ultimately why we are doing so well,” Featherson said.

Win or lose, the two friends are just happy to be playing doubles together again.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.