Last week, three of our finest basketball players decided to forgo the remainder of their college eligibility to enter the 2012 NBA Draft. After this decision, much of Tar Heel Nation was upset for the same reason: we are all sad to see them leave.

But I was extremely displeased with how some reacted. I heard many of my fellow Tar Heels saying they felt betrayed. Some went as far to say that the players who are leaving would be easily forgotten.

I do not believe any of our players went against any promise they made to us. None of them promised to stay here all four years. They have been honest with us from the very beginning. They are making the decision that seems best for them.

Thursday was melancholy. But, as our team this year did so many times, we have to move on and look ahead. We have talented players returning and gifted recruits coming in.

I encourage all of the UNC family to support these players as they continue to elevate their talent at the professional level, for they are and forever will be a part of our family.

Finally, to Kendall Marshall, John Henson and Harrison Barnes: Thank you for the time you gave us playing here at this wonderful university and for the joy you brought to my experience at UNC. Never forget that together, we are Carolina.

Garrett Pedersen ’15
Education