HOPE (Homeless Outreach Poverty Eradication) is dedicated to seeking relationships with people who are experiencing poverty while looking for innovative ways to address the issue.

Our projects build relationships through positive communities and empower individuals through financial and employment opportunities.
Poverty Action Week (PAW) is a week of events held annually that is filled with great speakers, fundraisers, documentaries, discussions and volunteer opportunities.

PAW 2012 is this week, April 9 to 13, 2012. The week’s events raise campus awareness about issues of homelessness and poverty in our local community and engage students in solution-oriented discussions and actions.

Last night, we hosted Art Night in front of the Campus Y, which featured art from the streets of Chapel Hill, including artwork from community members and poetry readings from homeless individuals.

Check out Hunger Lunch in the Pit today from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. and discuss poverty with other students. For PSS skills training, come to “Poverty and Policy,” a Roosevelt Institute Policy Workshop from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Campus Y Faculty Lounge later tonight.

Come hear community members discuss what poverty means at our Town Hall Panel on Thursday, April 12 in Caldwell 105 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Then, join us at Pulse on Thursday afternoon from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to support Nourish International’s summer projects!

We end the week on Friday with live music, speakers and free food at Box-Out at 6 p.m. in the Pit. Come experience Box-Out and gain stories to tell your grandkids.

Register for Box-Out now at www. unchope.com/box-out.We HOPE to see you there!

Layla Quran ’15
Global studies