Potential St. Philip’s Church move upsets Germanton residents

Photo: Potential St. Philip’s Church move to Carrboro upsets Germantown residents (Graves Ganzert)

A group from Germanton, NC, protests the moving of the historical St. Phillip’s Church, which may move from the town to Carrboro. Photo courtesy of Ed Gambill.

CORRECTION: The original version of this story incorrectly stated that the church is moving to Carrboro, but in fact it will be relocated to Chapel Hill. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

A 121-year-old church that served as a symbol of Germanton, N.C. could move to Chapel Hill as early as October, but not if residents in the church’s hometown have their way.

In the last week, Germanton residents have barraged Chapel Hill Town Council inboxes with emails asking members to prevent a zoning change that would allow for the St. Philip’s Church move.

St. Philip’s was built in 1891 as the gathering place for the Germanton Episcopal Congregation, but for years it has stood vacant and untended.

Because of the church’s unclear future, the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina, which owns the building, decided to move the church to Carrboro. It will house the Episcopal Church of the Advocate, which needs a building for worship.

When offered the church, the congregation embraced the idea.

“It will provide a place for worship and hospitality to the congregation,” said Rev. Lisa Fischbeck, the vicar for the congregation. “We will be using it as it was meant to be used.”

The Episcopal Church of the Advocate estimates the total cost for moving and renovations to the structure will total about $483,000, which is cheaper than having to build a church.

But Germanton, a small town just eight miles northeast of Winston-Salem, has embraced the old church as an endearing landmark that provides a welcoming image to visitors and residents alike.

St. Philip’s Church is categorized as a historic building by the National Register of Historic Places and it is one of the only buildings left in North Carolina that has not been updated since it was built. The church has no plumbing or electricity, and its main source of lighting is from kerosene lamps.

Linda Hicks, a member of the Stokes County Historical Society, said the church’s relocation would deeply affect the people of Germanton.

“I would just truly hate to see this historical church being moved to Carrboro, it has no historical value to Carrboro,” Hicks said.

Patti Dunlap, the president of the Stokes County Historical Society, said the church will lose its appeal after renovations.

“I am afraid that the use of it as a modern day church will change it drastically,” Dunlap said.

Dunlap feels that the church is a focal point for the whole community of Germanton.

“The people of Germanton always had a deep affection for the church,” Dunlap said. “Seeing the church leave would change the face of Germanton.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.