When the word “research” comes to mind, many think of long hours in the library armed with a mountain of books and an extra-large coffee cup.

But to the Office for Undergraduate Research and many UNC students, research or scholarship is wherever your curiosity decides to take you. Students conduct research in a wide range of areas, such as “An Analysis of Twitter Use during Sporting Events;” “Love in Fight Club;” “Revealing Victoria’s Secret;” and “The Legitimacy of Gay Marriage.”

Each year, students take part in research. Many share their experiences at the Celebration of Undergraduate Research symposium.

I strongly urge every member of the UNC community to attend this year’s symposium, held Monday from 1 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Student Union.

Not only will you get the chance to support your fellow Tar Heels, you might be inspired to conduct research of your own. During the symposium, undergraduates can showcase their work and share their passion for their research with others.

This is our biggest symposium yet, with 142 poster presenters and 56 platform presentations. We are also including Research Bingo, a game that gives researchers and visitors an opportunity to engage in discussion. There will be a $100 prize drawing as well as gift cards and goods from Student Stores, Kildare’s, Vespa and more.

See some great posters, listen to talks from students on campus and meet others who share similar interests to your own.

Chelsey Bentley ’13
Public relations
Religious studies