UNC’s change in online course evaluations leads to participation decline across departments

When the University moved its course evaluations online in 2010, officials said it would save money and time.

But efficiency, University officials said, has come at the cost of student participation.

Lynn Williford, assistant provost for institutional research and assessment, said overall response rates in the College of Arts and Sciences dropped from about 70 percent to 60 percent in the past two years.

“There are courses where 10 percent, even fewer than 10 percent, bother to fill them out,” said Michael Salemi, economics department chairman. “Students are effectively removing themselves from the equation.”

Before evaluations went online, professors passed out paper forms in class. Now students are usually expected to complete evaluations on their own time at the end of each semester.

Salemi said professors are less likely to give class time for online evaluations because many students don’t bring a laptop to class.

Williford said a lack of Internet access in some classrooms is another barrier to completing evaluations in class.

William Kier, chairman of the biology department, said his department still uses paper evaluations because it ensures a better response rate.

“It’s much more time-intensive,” he said. “But we’re not convinced that the web-based approach is superior.”

Kier said written responses are more insightful, and web-based evaluations cause skewed sample effects. “It’s probably not a statistically useful style,” he said.

Cecil Wooten, chairman of the classics department, estimated only 20 percent of students in his department fill out online course evaluations, compared to the 80 percent that completed paper evaluations before the switch.

But Williford said the Gillings School of Global Public Health saw a participation increase from 70 to 80 percent between 2010 and 2011.

“Students are much more likely to feel engaged … if they are completing an evaluation for a course in their major,” she said.

Members of the Appointments, Promotions and Tenure Committee said evaluations are a significant factor in the decision of whether to promote a faculty member.

“It’s to make sure people are doing their jobs,” said David Guilkey, chairman of the committee.

Richard Whisnant, also on the committee, said evaluations have tangible effects on professors.

“When someone has a really good one, that’s definitely a bonus for them,” he said. “When someone has a really bad evaluation, that’ll result in more scrutiny for them.”

Senior Ashley Ellis said student feedback for professors is important, but she doesn’t complete evaluations because she isn’t given class time for them.

“I’m lazy,” she said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.