I wish I could have written this letter a long time ago. Unfortunately, I only found out about the wonderful place called the Carolina Campus Community Garden this semester, my last.

The CCCG grows vegetables and fruits so that all UNC employees have access to fresh, sustainably grown produce through the shared efforts of staff, students, faculty and local residents.

I encourage all of you — whether you only have a few weeks left in Chapel Hill, like me, or you plan on being here for many more years — to come to a workday and check it out. Absolutely no experience is necessary. By volunteering, you will not only get exercise, get tan, meet awesome people and build your resume (applications are open for a summer internship), but you’ll also be part of the CCCG’s incredible mission.

Workdays are every Sunday and Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. (weather permitting).

The garden is conveniently located off Cameron Avenue on Wilson Street and is a short five-minute walk from campus. There is something for everyone, and plenty of people are happy to help guide you along.

If you find that you have a little free time over the next few weeks, please consider volunteering at the Carolina Campus Community Garden. The garden welcomes you over the summer and next year as well. For more information, please check out http://bit.ly/IAV9bX.

Thank you for your interest. I hope to see you at the next CCCG workday!

Hannah Giles ’12
Political science and
communication