Weed out the ‘Wolfpack Garden’ by the Old Well

The early arrival of spring by nearly three weeks has not only accelerated the oak pollen allergy season — and mercifully a quicker end to itchy eyes and runny noses before month’s end — but it has also brought an earlier arrival of blooming shrubs on campus, including those ubiquitous azaleas whose myriad colors herald the arrival of high spring.

In the midst of this spring beauty, the Wolfpack Garden surrounding the Old Well has reappeared in all its garish splendor, flaunting a sea of vile red-and-white blooms in the most photographed spot on the UNC campus.

Go have a look for yourself.To any true blue Tar Heel, this affront, perhaps recalling N.C. State’s agricultural roots in Chapel Hill, is truly unthinkable.

These flowers are not just some shade of “dark pink” and part of an overall spring landscape as many campus naysayers would have us believe.

They are Wolfpack Red enough to have everyone at Moo-U snickering. How could UNC’s iconic symbol not reflect the same coloration so apparent everywhere else on campus? Look at all the signage, the street banners, the Kenan Stadium seating, the Blue Zone, Smith Center, Carmichael and Boshamer stadiums. Look at the town buses, even the fire trucks.

Send the Wolfpack Garden — and its inside joke — packing. Fill in the Old Well garden with other colors, or with the help of some Rams Club boosters or alumni donors; re-landscape the area so that blue and white flowers bloom there year round.

F. Marion Redd ’67
Hillsborough. N.C.