UNC clinches Boston College series with 6-5 win

The Tar Heels came back strong after a four and a half hour rain delay

Saturday’s game between the No. 10 North Carolina baseball team and Boston College was supposed to be an afternoon game and for the first four innings it was just that.

The Eagles (20-28, 9-17 ACC) looked to be in much better form than the night before and jumped out to a 5-2 lead before the rains came and turned the contest into a night game.

Four and a half hours after the conclusion of the fourth inning, the Tar Heels took the field in the top of the fifth and blanked the Eagles. In the home half of the fifth UNC tied the score with a three run burst neutralizing the action from earlier in the day.

“Delays can do funny things,” head coach Mike Fox said. “I’ve seen this happen before, where you have these long delays that can completely change the momentum. They obviously had the momentum and they did get a little sloppy.

“They brought in (Matt) Bayuk and he’s their best guy out of the pen and he left some balls up. If you’d told me that we’d score three runs on him in one inning to get back in the game I would have thought, ‘Wow, he’s probably making some mistakes.’”

The Tar Heels (33-13, 15-8 ACC) went on to take the series clinching game 6-5.

Boston College chased freshman starting pitcher Benton Moss in the second inning by scoring three runs on four hits. The 1.2 inning outing is Moss’s shortest since his return to the weekend rotation at Maryland back in March.

“He just didn’t have great command of his fastball,” Fox said. “And not so much a bad match up with all their lefties, but you got to control that fastball and you got to be able to pitch in. I think he needs to develop a changeup, maybe a third pitch.”

The Tar Heels answered with one run in the bottom half of the second as Cody Stubbs scored after leading off the inning with a double. Right fielder Adam Griffin brought Stubbs home with a sacrifice fly to deep left field.

The Eagles extended the lead in the fourth with a pair of runs on back to back hits from Marc Perdios and Blake Butera. Again UNC responded with a single run in the bottom of the inning.

After the delay and the three-run fifth inning the Tar Heels claimed their first lead of the game in the seventh. Tommy Coyle drew a walk to start the inning and Griffin bunted him into scoring position. Designated hitter Brian Holberton lofted a double out to right field just inches from the line that scored Coyle.

“I think he’s got a lot of confidence now,” Fox said about his designated hitter. “I’ve hit him six, seven, eight and he hung in there. I think that was only his second base hit off a lefty all year so it was a big swing of the bat for us. Holbie’s always ready.”

Chris O’Brien picked up the win for the Tar Heels and Michael Morin finished off the Eagles with a four-out save. That gives Morin 12 on the season and puts him atop the ACC in the category.

“Let’s get to Michael, let’s get to Michael. That’s all we’re doing,” Fox said. “When the game’s close we’re trying to play from the ninth inning backwards to say who can get the next guy and the next guy to keep it close so we can go to Michael.”