Virginia Tech no trouble for UNC in game one

The Tar Heels used a seven-run fourth to demolish the Hokies

The No. 7 North Carolina baseball team is tearing through the back end of its season.

By beating Virginia Tech 13-2 in the first game of a three-game set, the Tar Heels extended their winning streak to 11 games making it the longest streak of the year.

The win also makes UNC the first school in the country to have 20 non-conference wins and 20 conference wins.

“We have a reputation of really kicking it in towards the end of the season,” Chaz Frank said. “Since we’ve made these Omaha runs five out of the last six years, we’ve really stepped it up once finals are over. We’re just preparing well, getting good rest and our offense is really coming on right now.”

Cody Stubbs got the UNC offense going with two outs in the second inning by doubling down the left field line and plating two Tar Heels in the process. Adam Griffin then reached on an error and while stealing second base, prompted catcher Mark Zagunis to make a throw. But Zagunis’ throw sailed into the outfield allowing Stubbs to score from third.

Frank then singled to score Griffin, giving the Tar Heels a 4-0 lead after two inning.

Leading off the top of the fourth inning, Virginia Tech’s Jake Atwell very nearly cleared the wall in right center with a well-hit shot. He ended up with a double on the play. Left fielder Tyler Horan came up two batters later and cleared the centerfield fence with a towering shot to cut the lead back down to 4-2.

But UNC answered in the bottom of the frame. Stubbs and Griffin opened up the inning with a pair of singles and Frank ripped a triple to left to score both of them. Thursday, Frank was two-for-five with three RBI but during North Carolina’s winning streak, Frank is hitting better than .450.

“I think I’m just using a good approach right now,” Frank said. “I’ve always been known as an energy guy, I get the team going a little bit. With me getting on base and getting some hits I think that’s providing some energy for the team.”

Moran brought home another two runs with a double to right center and Jacob Stallings scored Moran with his 20th double of the season. Those back-to-back doubles gave UNC a 9-2 lead, but the Tar Heels weren’t quite finished yet. By the time the fourth inning ended UNC sent 12 batters to the plate, scored seven runs and held an 11-2 lead. The Hokies needed three different pitchers to retire the side.

Parks Jordan tacked on another run for the Tar Heels with a sacrifice fly in the sixth inning and pinch-hitter Grayson Atwood added on the 13th run of the game with single in the seventh.

Kent Emanuel picked up the win to improve to 8-3 in his 30th career start as a Tar Heel. He became the first UNC pitcher to win at least 17 games in his first two seasons. On Thursday night he went 7.0 innings, gave up two runs on five hits and struck out seven Hokies.

Plus, he had a defense behind him that registered its fifth consecutive errorless game – the longest such streak this season.

“We’re playing well, but momentum – I don’t really believe in momentum in baseball,” coach Mike Fox said.

“I think momentum is how you feel about your team and how you feel about yourself and how confident you are. I think we’re more confident all the way through.”