Virginia Tech will be the final ACC series for seniors

12163_0511_baseball_v._duke_key7f.jpg

After Tuesday night’s 10-4 victory at UNC-Asheville, the North Carolina baseball team hopes that they can park the team bus for a while.

The trip to McCormick Field is the last scheduled road trip of the regular season as the Tar Heels will close out the schedule this weekend at Boshamer Stadium.

The Thursday-Friday-Saturday series with Virginia Tech makes up the final three games of the season, the series will also be the final regular season home games for two North Carolina seniors.

One of those being catcher Jacob Stallings.

“He’s had a tremendous impact, on the field and off,” coach Mike Fox said about his catcher. “He’s a special young man and he’s turned himself into a really, really good player with a lot of hard work.”

The only other senior is relief pitcher Jimmy Messer who Fox said was the only player he’d ever had that won the team’s hardest working player award each of his four years.

The Tar Heels will have their hands full with the Hokies (34-18) as they are trying to make their case for a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

“I haven’t heard a lot about them except for that they’re swinging it really well right now,” Stallings said. “They’re pretty hot and they’re a pretty good offensive ballclub. They’ll be at their best because they have a lot at stake.”

The seventh-ranked Tar Heels will have to make the short drive down to Greensboro for the ACC Tournament May 22-27, but they are in line to host a Regional in the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. And if all goes according to plan, a Super Regional the following weekend.

Hobbs Johnson, who was supposed to start Sunday’s series finale with Duke, missed that start due to illness and started Tuesday against the Bulldogs.

He struck out five batters in four innings while giving up five hits and one earned run on his way to picking up his fifth win of the season.

“He looked OK,” Fox said.

“He settled in, I’m not sure if Hobbs was 100 percent tonight. I know he felt a lot a better. But he pitched OK, he settled in there and gave us four good innings.”

If Johnson’s health continues to improve Fox said he saw no reason that he wouldn’t start Saturday’s season finale in his usual role as the third weekend starter.

On Thursday, the Tar Heels will start the staff ace sophomore lefty Kent Emanuel who is 7-3 with a 1.74 ERA. Friday, freshman Benton Moss will get the start and he is 5-2 with an ERA of 2.40.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.