UNC women's field hockey wins both Big 10 challenge games

WINSTON-SALEM — To look at the results of the No. 2 North Carolina field hockey team’s ACC/Big 10 challenge weekend, it wouldn’t be obvious that the Tar Heels suffered from opening day jitters.

UNC defeated No. 10 Michigan 5-1 Saturday afternoon at Kentner Stadium, but coach Karen Shelton wasn’t pleased with her team’s effort.

“I don’t think we played particularly well. I think there was some disjointed play,” Shelton said. “So I was really pleased to see them show up … I’m just thrilled that we could unselfishly move the ball. We worked incredibly hard and played with a great deal of intensity.”

After slamming No. 12 Iowa 5-0 in the final game of the tournament Sunday, Shelton’s reaction to the victory was a complete reversal.

“We were very worried about Iowa,” Shelton said. “They beat a strong Wake Forest team, and we felt like we had a really good start against them.

“We basically scored early and took them out of their game plan from the very beginning.”

Though the scores of both games reflect Tar Heel dominance, Michigan gave UNC a tough time in the season opener.

In the first game, UNC allowed its only two shots of the day in the second half. Michigan converted one as senior defender Caitlin Van Sickle looked on from the sidelines.

Van Sickle was assessed a yellow card in the 53rd minute, giving Michigan’s Samantha Gray an extra-man goal in the 57th minute. The yellow card carries a five-minute removal from game action.

But against Iowa, UNC cleaned up its play and earned a shutout.

Freshmen Emma Bozek and Emily Wold made their collegiate debut on Saturday. Bozek and Wold missed the preseason practices and scrimmage as they were playing with the U-21 National Team.

“Putting on a uniform and playing with the team in a game setting is a lot different, so I think it did take a game for us to all get used to each other,” Bozek said. “I know me and Emily playing with the Under-21s, it definitely helped us yesterday to be together again.”

But despite missing preseason, Bozek and Wold made an immediate impact. Bozek scored two goals while Wold recorded an assist.

Throughout the weekend, the Tar Heels outshot their opponents 44-7.

“I think it starts from the back,” senior Jaclyn Gaudioso Radvany said. “I think the back transferred the ball much better today and it went right through the midfield.”

Gaudioso Radvany contributed four goals on the weekend.

“I was proud of the team, great opening weekend for the Tar Heels,” Shelton said. “Everybody had a chance to play and it was just a really great team effort.”

Contact the desk editor at
sports@dailytarheel.com.