Rickshaws popular among newlyweds, eco-conscious

13706_0919_rickshaw_brantleyf.jpg
Phillip Hamiliton, a pedicab driver outside of the Franklin Hotel.

When it comes to his rickshaws, Marc Dreyfors wants customers to think romance.

“We have launched many a couple into wedded life,” said Dreyfors, who manages the rickshaw company Greenway Transit.

Whether used by lovers as a place to pop the question or by tourists wanting to see more of Chapel Hill, Greenway Transit’s bicycle rickshaws have been a part of Franklin Street traffic since 2006.

Running on human power, the rickshaws are an eco-friendly option for traveling in downtown Chapel Hill.

Greenway Transit offers Triangle residents “green” transportation alternatives, including a car co-op and bio-diesel buses.

The rickshaw initiative was founded by UNC alumnus Dennis Markatos-Soriano, who was inspired by similar services he saw in New York City and Charleston.

Dreyfors said many customers find out about the rickshaws by chance.

“We get a lot of people after football games, and people who are just tired of walking around in high heels,” he said.

Dreyfors said some of their best business comes during wedding season, and a partnership with The Franklin Hotel has helped the company cater to newlyweds.

Liz Messick, owner of Lullieux Event Design, said she has worked with Greenway on weddings in the past.

She said one memorable ceremony took place in June.

“After the reception, the bride and groom exited through a sparkler send-off and were whisked away in a rickshaw trailing tin cans, a just married sign and Marc in coattails,” Messick said.

Aside from weddings, the rickshaws have been hired by organizations at UNC, including UNC Young Democrats, who once used them to get students to the polls on election day.

Dreyfors said Greenway Transit also has a biodiesel initiative with UNC fraternities.

Leftover cooking oil from fraternity kitchens is collected and used to make biodiesel.

Dreyfors considers the rickshaws a natural fit for Chapel Hill, which he sees as one of the most environmentally progressive towns in the state.

“I think Chapel Hill is pushing the envelope,” he said. “Living in a town with an integrated, comprehensive transportation plan is great.”

John Richardson, sustainability officer for Chapel Hill, said he considers the rickshaws an example of the town’s commitment to eco-friendly transportation.

“Certainly, when you can get someone from point A to point B without burning fossil fuels, that’s excellent,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.