J Street UNC, our school’s chapter of the national pro-Israel, pro-peace student movement, strongly disagrees with Chapel Hill bus ads advocating an end to military aid to Israel in service of peace. Stripping aid from Israel not only endangers the Israeli people, it does the Palestinian national cause a terrible disservice.

The path to a negotiated two-state solution, the only viable resolution to the conflict, will necessitate great compromise and trust from all sides of the table.

Such compromise will only be possible for Israelis when their security is guaranteed, instead of put further in danger. Ostracization and endangerment of Israel, or indeed of any party, is a step backward.

Military aid to Israel ensures the security and peace of mind necessary for compromise and negotiation, and the fulfilment of national self-determination for both peoples.

We also disapprove of the attempt to remove the ads from the buses entirely, which was under discussion at the town council yesterday.
We believe this is neither the prudent, pragmatic, nor just approach to this disagreement. J Street UNC firmly believes that every attempt to stifle voices is a missed opportunity to engage with the issues directly. One cannot engage with those whom you disagree by asserting that they have no right to speak.

The nuances and complexities of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict cannot be accurately presented through ads on a bus, nor can they addressed through the ad’s removal.

J Street UNC is committed both to a strong, secure Israel and to maintaining an open, honest dialogue in the best tradition of our community.

Jacob Pitman ’14
Lauren Donoghue ’14
Co-Presidents
J Street UNC