I was deeply saddened to hear of Chancellor Holden Thorp’s plans to step down from his position. He has been an incredible advocate for the University and has handled the crises of the last few years with courage and authenticity.

I stand with the University’s faculty, employees, and my fellow trustees in urging him to rethink his intention to resign.

The chancellor has enabled this flagship institution of public higher education to remain true to its core principle: being a University of and for the people. Despite budget cuts and scandals, Chancellor Thorp has adhered to a vision of accessibility, academic excellence and entrepreneurial spirit.

Today from 11:50 a.m. to 1 p.m., students will gather on the quad in front of South Building in solidarity with faculty and employees to express our words of support for the chancellor.

If you cannot attend but still wish to express your support, we encourage you to send a letter to the editor to The (Raleigh) News & Observer or The Charlotte Observer so that your message will be heard beyond Chapel Hill.

I hope that you will add your voice to chorus of Tar Heels asking Chancellor Thorp to rethink his resignation.

Will Leimenstoll ’13
Student Body President
Member
Board of Trustees