Most of us take for granted knowing where our next meal is coming from, whether it be Lenoir, somewhere on Franklin Street or whatever is in the fridge.

But for many North Carolina families, such comforts don’t exist, and planning meals is a day-to-day struggle.

In fact, North Carolina’s hunger rate for children younger than five is the worst in the nation (tied with Louisiana). In this region of the state alone, 180,000 kids don’t get enough to eat.

That’s why the nonprofit organization Farmer Foodshare is challenging the Triangle community to help eradicate hunger through local farmers markets.

You can do your part by contributing excess fresh food you purchase to donation stations set up at 11 local farmers markets throughout the Triangle area from Sept. 18-22.

Additionally, shoppers can help launch the new “Farm-to-Family CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)” program by providing donations to sponsor all or part of a weekly box of fresh, local food that is given to a family in crisis.

Farmer Foodshare is encouraging everyone, including kids, to participate.

Many markets will provide fun kids’ activities like face painting, crafts and music.

100 percent of all donations go directly towards purchasing food or to the Farm-to-Family CSAs. For further details and to view participating markets, visit www.farmerfoodshare.org.

Remember: when you compete to end hunger, everyone wins.

Jessica Gaylord ’14
Heelprint
Communications