Housekeeping alleviates language barriers

In the ongoing reform of its housekeeping department, the University is stressing one crucial aspect: language.

Though nearly half of UNC housekeepers are Hispanic or Asian, only recently have their department regularly provided interpreters at departmental meetings or functions.

Before this year, interpreters were rarely present at Housekeeping Services meetings, said Brandon Thomas, communications director for facilities services.

The presence of professional Spanish, Burmese and Karen interpreters at meetings is one of the many tangible improvements made in the department in past months.

A consulting group provided 45 recommendations in 2011 to improve the department after allegations of employee mistreatment.

Former director Bill Burston resigned last September, and former assistant director Tonya Sell resigned three months later.

Thomas said bilingual housekeepers previously served as unofficial interpreters for their coworkers.

For the first time, the University now has a contract with an agency that provides written and in-person translation services.

“It’s a world of difference,” Thomas said. “They have real-time interpretation at meetings now.”

Housekeeping Services has also partnered with human resources to provide English language classes for housekeepers with limited or non-existent English skills.

A 12-week class with 50 participating housekeepers ended in April, and a second session with 60 participants ended in July.

Kathy Bryant, senior director of human resources communications, said earlier this month she expected similar participation levels in a class that was scheduled to begin Monday.

Administrators also plan to launch an alternative language-training opportunity through Rosetta Stone.

All language services are free to employees and offered during work hours.

Luis Gutierrez, a University housekeeper enrolled in an English class, said he is glad for the opportunity to learn English.

Originally from El Salvador, Gutierrez has lived in the United States for 26 years — but until now, he never had time to take an English class.

“Ultimately, the goal is to improve the work environment for housekeepers,” Thomas said.

“The focus of (the English language classes) is to make sure everyone is communicated the same message and to make sure everyone understands what’s being communicated.”

In addition to language barriers, the ethnic diversity of UNC’s housekeeping staff has also caused cross-cultural problems, Thomas said.

The department’s ongoing reform process includes team building and cultural exchange training classes to resolve such differences.

But not all housekeepers are satisfied with the changes.

University housekeeper Odessa Davis said conditions are a little better, but she is still not happy and won’t be without higher wages.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.