I was the student interviewed for the Chapel Hill parking restriction article that was published on Friday, and I would like to elaborate on the issue on behalf of my roommates and myself.

Just one day before the parking rule was put into effect, we received our very first notice from our realtor about the parking restrictions.

In short, we were told that if the owner of our house gets cited twice for having more than four cars on any of the properties he owns, all tenants living in his properties could be evicted, regardless of if it was your house that violated the new rule.

I also talked to Loryn Clark, the housing and neighborhood services manager for the Chapel Hill Planning Department via email a few weeks ago about the parking restrictions and she was very helpful in explaining the situation and restrictions.

However, I do not agree that these parking restrictions will improve the aesthetics of the neighborhood. Will an overflow of cars parked on the narrow streets be more visually pleasing than cars parked on their own properties?

Some streets in Northside, such as Lindsay Street, require a resident parking permit. However, people who don’t have resident permits park on that street regularly for football games, and they never get ticketed.

We enjoy living in the Northside neighborhood, and we hope that we can continue to do so throughout the rest of our senior year.

Vanessa Da Costa ’13
Psychology