CLARIFICATION: An earlier version of this column said 1,089 students studied abroad in the 2011-12 year. That figure does not include students who studied abroad through other divisions on campus. The percentage change in study abroad rates from 2007-08 and 2011-12 academic years — reported to be 16.7 percent — cannot be calculated due to incomplete data. The column has been updated to reflect this.

In the past week, I’ve climbed the Arc de Triomphe, roamed the halls of Versailles and visited the grave of Oscar Wilde. I’m still stunned as I pass the Eiffel Tower on the way to class each morning.

If it weren’t for a combination of grants, loans and scholarships, I wouldn’t be here.

I’m paying my own way through college. I never imagined I would have the opportunity to spend a semester in Paris, one of the world’s most expensive cities.

The current economic climate has undoubtedly discouraged many students from taking advantage of global opportunities — but it shouldn’t.

The number of UNC students studying abroad has fallen from 1,307 during the 2007-08 academic year. During the 2011-12 year, 1,089 students studied abroad through the Study Abroad Office, according to preliminary data.

It’s easy to see why. In July, North Carolina’s unemployment rate remained a staggering 9.6 percent, a full 1.3 percentage points higher than the national average.

At a time when families are struggling to make ends meet, studying abroad can seem out of reach.

And if the UNC system ever lessened its commitment to financial aid, students who are less commonly represented in study abroad programs could be even less inclined to apply.

But meaningful experiences abroad don’t have to be limited to students of means.

UNC offers more than 100 exchange programs in countries ranging from Australia to Uruguay, said David Barger, director of finance and human resources at the Study Abroad Office. Through these programs, participants pay UNC tuition to study at another university.

About 11 percent of UNC students who studied abroad during the 2011-12 academic year received scholarships through the Study Abroad Office. Admittedly, that is a small portion of the students who study abroad.

Yet external organizations also offer a wide array of scholarship options, while UNC-approved study abroad programs hosted by other universities often offer scholarships of their own.

Most importantly, students can apply their financial aid package to all UNC-approved programs that take place during the academic year.

These resources help explain why more than one-third of UNC’s undergraduates get the opportunity to study abroad, one of the highest rates among public universities in the nation.

Plenty of hurdles remain in making study abroad accessible to all students, including those who must maintain full- or part-time jobs to pay for college. We should continue to work toward that goal.

But even so, there are more opportunities available than one might expect.

A year ago, I didn’t think this was possible. Ultimately, I decided a semester abroad was worth the significant financial commitment — and thanks to scholarships and financial aid, I had the privilege to do so.

Stop by the Study Abroad Fair on Friday to learn more.