The Department of Public Safety is tightening bike policy and encouraging students to abide by a mandatory rule to register their bikes.

While permits are required, only 1,000 to 2,000 of the bikes on campus are registered, said Randy Young, DPS spokesman.

In an effort to increase registration, students who register their bikes receive a 50 percent discount on bike locks at UNC Student Stores.

And as a result, lock sales have nearly doubled, causing a temporary sellout until Monday, said John Gorsuch, director of Student Stores.

“This year in particular I would say it’s been kind of an above average year,” he said.

“(DPS) has been better at getting the word out,” Gorsuch said. “Students have been more responsive.”

Students can register for free, either in-person at the department or on its website, Young said.

He added that registered bikes are more likely to be returned if stolen because DPS is able to track them.

“Bikes that are stolen or involved in crime are usually not registered,” he said.

Young said he recalls a recent case where a girl recognized her stolen bike being ridden by another person — and it was returned by DPS because it was registered.

“It’s deterrent to crime,” Young said. “When crime occurs, we can identify what’s lost.”

Registered bikes are marked by an official sticker located on the bicycle frame.

But Young said that unregistered bikes are not at risk of being impounded, despite DPS’s increased effort to impound bikes not parked at designated racks.

“Bike registration is not connected with bike parking — they are separate issues,” Young said.

Students tend to park their bikes illegally because certain bike racks are in higher demand than others, and it can be hard to find a free spot, Young said.

“We recommend just a minute or two to find parking.”

Young said he encourages students to contact DPS if they have concerns regarding bike rack congestion.

Senior Laura Hamrick said she has never felt a need to register her bike, but she will now likely register it to prevent theft.

“I’ve heard about bike registration vaguely, but I’ve never really thought about it — it seems like a good idea, though,” Hamrick said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.