I find myself simply heartsick this afternoon over Holden Thorp’s announcement that he is stepping down from the office of the chancellor.

There is no doubt in my mind that Chancellor Thorp has been scapegoated for scandals and deviancy that he has in no way produced, that without Thorp we would be sinking even more deeply into degeneracy and that he has acted appropriately throughout, moving cautiously or quickly as the circumstances required.

As a homegrown alumnus and a brilliant chemist, Chancellor Thorp has been precisely what UNC has needed in this age of imported professional bureaucrats whose arrogance and remoteness have been undercutting our mission.

At UNC we have lost our way. We have done so in large part because we have subjected our core missions of research and teaching to a bogus and bloated master, professionalized college sports, especially football.

This is not a morally ambiguous situation, except of course to those rabid fans of UNC sports who would say anything, no matter how specious, to keep things as they are.

I am an alumnus and a long-time professor of this University. Before my lifetime, my grandmother farmed as hard as she could so that her son, my father, might receive a great and affordable education at UNC.

I give voice to my ancestors when I tell you that I have simply and absolutely had enough.

Goodness knows what outside, sports-gaga chancellor we will get next.

There is no sign whatsoever that the people who oversee this University from afar have any notion of what is wrong with it, let alone how to fix it.

Reid Barbour ’82
Professor
Department of English and Comparative Literature