I’m slightly amazed at people’s stances on Chancellor Holden Thorp stepping down.

Honestly, when I heard it, my first thought was “Yeah, I’m sure he was asked to step down and did this to protect his dignity and the Board of Trustees.”

I wanted to find a scapegoat. I’ve been here for four years now and suffered through all the trials and tribulations along with Chancellor Thorp.

We’ve had numerous scandals. We’ve lost a postseason. We’ve lost to N.C. State for four straight years.

I don’t think some people understand how upset these things make me. I’m at a beautiful, internationally renowned University, and we have these petty problems. Who better to blame than the guy on top?

But then I came to a realization. The man I wanted to blame for all the issues at this place I now call home has done so much more. Dean, Kenan chemistry professor and chancellor. Best damn Rubik’s-cuber I have ever met.

But that is child’s play compared to what he’s done in the past four years.

Despite the recession, our endowment is what it was in 2008, and it is increasing. There were nearly 30,000 applicants to UNC for this school year, which is 47 percent higher than the 21,000 that applied only five years ago.

He has kept tuition and fees affordable for us. Our University under this man was ranked 55th internationally, moving up from 78th. And it’s been ranked 30th by U.S. News & World Report.

So for all the unfortunate events that have happened — for all the downfalls — for everything that I can’t stand to have happened to UNC, there is so much more that has been beneficial.

And I am quite sad that he is leaving. I had to work during the rally in front of South Building, but I’m proud of my fellow students who came out to support the man that is giving me a degree for one of the highest quality majors in the country.

But I don’t agree with any of those people. No, I’m not saying we need a change in leadership: I think we need someone with as much drive and heart as Chancellor Thorp had, which is going to be close to impossible to come across.

I think we need someone who sees our issues and wants to address them, which is precisely who Thorp is.

I know we need someone that will continue to keep our education affordable and knows first-hand who we are: Students of the flagship public university of the nation.

I believe that he has made this decision on his own and deserves to be left alone.

He will continue to make this amazing University even better for everyone once he steps down; I have no doubt about that.

Sometimes a new head and new ideas will make this place even better.

I’m sure people wish Dean Smith stayed longer, but despite how much success he brought to our basketball team, I’m sure all of you will agree that we love Roy just as much.

I’m sure he has spent long and hard hours making this decision and I trust his judgement. I didn’t doubt him when he increased our endowment. I didn’t doubt him when he made our school’s ranking internationally known. And I know I don’t doubt his most recent decision.

For everything Thorp has done for us, I believe he deserves peace and to be left to his own devices (e.g. a Rubik’s cube).

Kyle Pridgen ’12
Chemistry