There has been no shortage of those looking to get a moment in the spotlight by pontificating about Chancellor Holden Thorp’s resignation or the UNC Advisory Committee on Strategic Directions in the past few days.

The accusations and fear mongering have ranged from as nonsensical as there being a vast GOP plot to privatize the University to as baseless and irresponsible as Art Pope orchestrating an ouster of Chancellor Thorp.

None of these accusations have been based on published facts relating directly to those accused nor have they been based on precedent.

Until actual evidence regarding the GOP or Pope himself comes to light, it is beneath the dignity of this University to equate these he-said-she-said rumors to proven facts.

The simple truth of the matter is that the University has been plagued by scandal and bad policy under Thorp’s chancellorship.

I feel that I do not need to recap the scandals. However, the bad policy may need a refresh.

In the interest of conserving space in letter that’s already too long, I’ll just go with the most ridiculous policy seen on Thorp’s watch: the sexual harassment code.

According to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, it is against our speech code to explicitly or implicitly ask a person for sex. Obviously it is rape not to do so. You also cannot make sexually explicit jokes.

I do believe Thorp when he says that he has the best interest of UNC at heart.

And what is best for UNC is moving beyond this dark, scandalous period; to do that, we need new leadership.

He likely knows this, which is probably why he’s stepping down, and I fully support that decision.

Peter McClelland ’15
Student Congress
District 1
Political science