UNC senior wins Duke Plus One Invitational in Cary

Freshmen Whitney Kay and Ashley Dai each played in doubles matches in the first tournament of their North Carolina careers without any veteran company on the court.

The Tar Heel newcomers relied on each other’s talents to secure a Saturday win over Alabama’s Mary Anne Macfarlane and Maya Jansen at the Duke Plus One Invitational in Cary.

Fall tournaments such as Duke’s help college tennis teams direct their training as they prepare for in-season spring competition.

“For us to play with all new combinations and win two of three doubles championships, especially with one pair being two freshmen, made for a great start for us,” coach Brian Kalbas said.

Senior Lauren McHale and sophomore Caroline Price defeated teammates junior Laura Slater and senior Gina Suarez-Malaguti in Saturday’s other doubles match. Although Kalbas said he was impressed with these pairings, he said the team will continue to try new duos throughout the fall.

On Sunday, Suarez-Malaguti secured a victory against Kay to be named top singles champion of the weekend. But for the senior, the win over a young teammate meant more than a title.

“Playing against Whitney was a big challenge for me but also a big encouragement,” Suarez-Malaguti said. “It sucked because I knew I was playing someone so good and who is such a hard worker. I was a little nervous, to be honest.”

Although the senior has three years of experience on Kay, Suarez-Malaguti said the match was intimidating because Kay defeated No. 17 Cristina Stancu of Texas A&M to earn the right to play her.

“Whitney Kay against the 17th-best player in nation was probably one of the most notable performances of the weekend,” Kalbas said. “She was very composed and competitive. That result was very significant for her, it showed Whitney — at college level — is going to be a force to be reckoned with.”

But for Suarez-Malaguti, the focus of the early-season match was long-term improvement.

“The entire time I was focusing on what we work for — a process of getting better after each game,” Suarez-Malaguti said. “We work on making one another better because as a whole, the fall is just about that.”

The senior won in straight sets (6-2, 6-0) to secure a win in a tournament she missed last year due to injury. While she was excited to return to the tournament with a victory, the overall result from the team resonated stronger than her individual performance.

“It just wasn’t such a successful tournament last year,” she said. “Seeing all the W’s we got and all of the experience we got under our belt is a just huge improvement.

“A lot of our players were able to play players from across the country who were ranked, and we had a lot of upsets. It was a surprising and encouraging weekend. It set us in a good place to start the season.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.