Chapel Hill man arrested for rape 15 years later

CLARIFICATION: A previous version of this article attributed Chapel Hill Police Sgt. Josh Mecimore as saying the best way for people to avoid rape is to stay in places that are well-lit and well-traveled. Mecimore said these actions are the best way to avoid all crime, not just sexual assault. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for any confusion.

A Chapel Hill man was arrested Oct. 3 and charged with second degree rape and failure to appear in court — 15 years overdue.

Juan Salinas, 35, was arrested in August 1997 and charged with attempted rape, but he never appeared for his September 1997 court date.

When Carrboro police issued a failure to appear in court warrant, Salinas disappeared — until about a week ago.

Salinas, who was arrested about a year ago for a traffic violation, was recently recognized by his probation officer after the officer stumbled upon the old order of arrest, said Lt. Chris Atack, spokesman for the Carrboro Police Department.

The officer connected the old warrant to Salinas, and the Chapel Hill Police Department arrested Salinas at his home on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard on Oct. 3.

Salinas was charged with second degree rape, according to the police report. He also faces charges for failing to appear in court.

“The original case will move forward now that he’s been arrested,” Atack said.

He said the 1997 incident occurred at the Old Well Apartments, a Carrboro apartment complex now known as the Collins Crossing Apartment Homes.

“The victim reported to us that she was grabbed by a Hispanic male and dragged behind another building,” said Atack. “She was able to break free.”

Officers in the area were able to detain a man fitting the woman’s description nearby the apartments soon after the incident was reported.

Atack said the victim was taken to the police station and identified Salinas as her assailant.

“It does not appear from what I’ve gleaned from the case that he knew her,” Atack said.

“Fortunately, it was an attempt and not a completed rape.”

Salinas was being held in the Orange County Jail on $50,000 secured bond as of Thursday evening.

Atack said the case will be forwarded to the Orange County District Attorney’s office, which will decide where to take the case.

Salinas will appear in Orange County District Court on Oct. 23.

“We try to encourage people to go out in groups, use the buddy system,” Mecimore said.

“This limits the likelihood of someone being able to take advantage of you.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.