Burglaries rise on campus and in residence halls

14034_crime101onlinef.jpg

On-campus and residence hall burglaries have been on the rise for five years and show no signs of slowing down.

In 2007, only two on-campus burglaries were reported. By 2010, this number had increased to 28 cases, and in the most recent Department of Public Safety crime report, it jumped to 36 cases in 2011.

The annual report, which is required by federal law, also shows that residence hall burglaries jumped from two cases in 2009 to 22 cases in 2011.

Randy Young, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said the department is currently analyzing the annual campus security report, which was sent to the campus community in an email Friday.

“We need to study first,” Young said. “If we see a trend that is noteworthy, then we will step up.”

Young defined burglary as any “unauthorized entry and larceny in offices and houses that are supposedly secure.”

Young said one of the drawbacks of having an open campus is that it is more prone to burglary; burglars can be people who are not associated with the University as well as students.

He added that the advancement of technology has made valuables smaller and easier to steal. The growing prevalence of laptops, cellphones and other electronic devices left around in libraries — especially during exam periods — attracts burglars to unsuspecting students, he said.

Junior John Guzek, an economics major, said he is not concerned about the rising statistics.

“It’s a pretty safe campus, especially compared to Philadelphia, where I am from,” Guzek said. “I think it’s easy to prevent burglary. But there are exceptions.”

Young said that in light of the increase in campus crime, a general understanding that students are not immune is necessary.

“There is a sense of immunity,” Young said. “Crimes do occur. The challenge is to educate folks. Those kinds of things tend to happen.”

Senior Terrell Hicks, a psychology major, said he knows students who have had items such as IDs, iPods and money stolen from their rooms or at parties.

“I have always been worried,” Hicks said.

“Everyone knows there are a lot of young adults here who are not always making the right decisions. Everybody assumes that we are in a safe place.”

Young said in order to combat the rising burglary rates on campus, he would encourage students to be self-aware and keep track of valued items, always lock doors and always report suspicious activities.

“It takes an entire campus to be vigilant,” Young said.

“It might not be a threat to that person but to the next person.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.