Crothers brings Uganda to UNC book store

While performing at a speaking engagement on March 17, 2010 for one of the other two books he’s authored, UNC journalism lecturer Tim Crothers was approached by a man in the crowd. He had a story idea to give him.

“Nine-hundred ninety nine times out of a thousand, that turns into a story about his uncle Ned and a big fish that he caught,” Crothers said. “But one time out of a thousand, it turns into a book.”

The story, which was summarized in a newsletter from the Sports Outreach Institute, was of a chess prodigy living in the slums of Uganda. More than two years later, it’s the subject of Crothers’ latest book, “The Queen of Katwe.”

Crothers will hold a book signing on campus today.

After holding speaking engagements for the book in California last week, the event is a homecoming for Crothers, a UNC alumnus. But the road Crothers has walked from that March day to the book’s release Oct. 9 has been a long one.

Crothers, a former Sports Illustrated senior writer, researched the story and pitched it to ESPN the Magazine. In September 2010, he traveled to Uganda and spent five days there with Phiona Mutesi, a 15-year-old girl who had risen from the throes of poverty to excel at chess.

Crothers then spent two weeks with Phiona and her team as she competed in the World Chess Olympiad in Siberia.

His article was published in ESPN the Magazine in January 2011. A finalist for an American Society of Magazine Editors’ award, Crothers’ story turned into a book contract that spring.

During multiple visits to Uganda while writing and reporting for the book, Crothers interviewed more than 70 people to help him tell Phiona’s story of international recognition. In addition to telling her tale, Crothers also paints the picture of another actor.

Enter Robert Katende.

It’s 5 a.m. in Kampala, Uganda, but his smile lights up the screen on Skype when he talks about Phiona and his new friend, Crothers.

Katende, who taught Phiona how to play chess through his work at the Sports Outreach Institute, plays a big role in her story.

“The Queen of Katwe” can be found in bookstores throughout the United States. In Uganda, it might take a little longer for it to catch on.

“As it gets to be known and famous, I have hope that it might be included in the schools,” Katende said.

Katende helped Phiona discover her talent. The Sports Outreach Institute provides her with a scholarship that allows her to attend school in Kampala, the nation’s capital.

Still, the teenager hasn’t fully grasped the concept of having a book written about her achievements.

“She doesn’t understand why I, and maybe the rest of the world, are so interested in this,” Crothers said. “To her, it’s just the life she lives every day.”

On Saturday, Katende saw firsthand the difference chess — and the publicity her talent has received because of Crothers’ book — has made in her life.

During an event at her school recognizing Phiona last week, Katende asked her to make a speech.

Before, a reserved Phiona might have run from the challenge. On Saturday, Katende watched as she accepted it and excelled.

“I was very surprised because she gave a very wonderful speech,” he said. “That’s when I said, ‘Maybe there has been an impact.’ She has come to trust and believe in herself.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.