Regarding last week’s Quick Hits section:

If you were wondering what kind of culture perpetuates the gendered wage gap, I’d recommend looking two centimeters to the right of your first thumbs-down, “Women’s studies”, toward your first thumbs-up, “Carolina in my bed”.

Now, I highly doubt that a letter to the editor is going to stop Playboy’s long history of sexism and heterosexism, but I do think it highly appropriate to point out that The Daily Tar Heel’s celebration of UNC’s rating in Playboy’s article does in fact contribute to and perpetuate the continued objectification of women on our campus and in our society at large.

Just take a look for yourself: http://www.playboy.com/playground/view/top-10-party-schools.

Not only are we reducing women to their bodies, we are now also reducing them to their level of progressivity — or at least Playboy’s understanding of progress, i.e. how open women are to having sex with men.

Heaven forbid if I’m a man wanting to have sex with a man, or a woman wanting to have sex with a woman, or if I think progress means equal pay for equal qualifications across gender identities.

The Daily Tar Heel prides itself on being one of the best university newspapers around and ostensibly thinks gender inequality is a problem worth giving a thumbs-down.

Your second thumb last Thursday says otherwise. In short: Do better, Daily Tar Heel.

Do better.

Andrew Heil ’13
Philosophy
Italian