Fellow Tar Heels:

I am so proud of our victory over N.C. State this weekend, but we still need a win against Duke. According to official early vote totals, Duke students are crushing us in voter turnout.

We can’t let this happen.

This election is one of the most important ones of our lifetime. Every issue from job creation to health care, from education to climate change, from immigration to energy, is at stake. In spite of these challenges, turnout among college-aged voters is expected to under-perform compared to the 2008 election.

To demonstrate our commitment to student turnout at UNC, the executive branch officers of student government, senior class representatives, Young Democrats leaders, College Republicans leaders and the Young Americans for Liberty leaders are announcing the Rivals Rock the Vote Challenge.

The challenge is simple: UNC will beat Duke if we achieve a greater proportional turnout of youth early voters (ages 18-25 years) by the time early voting polls close. If, however, we fail to overwhelm Duke’s student turnout, we will sport Duke T-shirts for the entirety of Nov. 5.

When we approached our counterparts at Duke with this challenge, they were too intimidated to compete. Tar Heels, we can win this one. Please do not force my team and me to wear that horrible shade of blue — I don’t even own a Duke T-shirt!

Visit Rams Head Dining Hall to register and vote early from now through Nov. 3.

Will Leimenstoll ‘13
Student Body President