Fraternity hazing sanctions decided

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story said the Phi Delta Theta chapter president declined to comment and the president of Kappa Alpha could not be reached. It should have said that the president of Kappa Alpha declined to comment and the president of Phi Delta Theta could not be reached. The story has been changed to reflect this.

Sanctions have been handed down to three of nine UNC fraternities reported for possible hazing violations.

UNC’s Kappa Alpha, Phi Delta Theta and Alpha Tau Omega chapters have all been investigated for different violations reported two weeks ago. Phi Delta Theta and Alpha Tau Omega were both found responsible of hazing, and Kappa Alpha violated alcohol policy.

All three fraternities are on deferred probation, meaning they cannot have another social violation during a designated period of time, said Aaron Bachenheimer, director of fraternity and sorority life and community involvement.

Kappa Alpha and Alpha Tau Omega chapter presidents declined to comment, and the president of Phi Delta Theta could not be reached.

Kappa Alpha and Phi Delta Theta were given a lighter punishment — two weeks of deferred probation — than Alpha Tau Omega, which will have four weeks of probation, since its violations were considered more severe. Alpha Tau Omega also received two weeks of social probation.

According to the hearing outcome reports, a complaint was filed that the Alpha Tau Omega pledges were instructed to come to the house in dress clothes for a “special dinner.” When the pledges arrived, brothers threw large amounts of spaghetti at them, and then forced them to clean up the mess.

But the Alpha Tau Omega president denied in the report that new members were targeted.

Dean of Students Jonathan Sauls said when occurrences such as this happen — especially in such a public manner — it detracts from the positive things that are happening on campus.

“Hazing is no longer a part of what we do,” he said. “And for those organizations or individuals … who are not ready to get on that bus, then the bus is going to leave without them,” he said.

Kappa Alpha did not violate hazing policy but was found to have violated the common source alcohol rule after a member of the fraternity posted a tweet that read “45 bottles of champagne. 14 pledges, #mynight.” on his personal Twitter account.

Phi Delta Theta violated hazing policy after members shaved the heads of four pledges. Although the pledges volunteered to the shaving, the fraternity was deemed responsible for hazing because the action might have been requested or suggested.

Six other reports of violations have yet to be decided.

“There are other cases that are still actively under investigation and review,” Sauls said.

He said the necessary changes to move forward will not be made until the whole community gets involved.

Bachenheimer added that he will follow up with each of the violations.

Interfraternity Council President Jack Partain said the council is doing what is necessary to enforce policies.

“I think other chapters will see this action taken by us as a firm reminder that we will not tolerate any type of hazing on this campus,” he said.

“If they do engage in this — they will be punished.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.