A week ago I read a letter to the editor written by Hayley Vatcher about the ninth semester rule confining learning opportunities and career possibilities.

I agree with her, and I think that the rule should be amended. This rule is too general and restrictive.

I transferred to UNC from Kazakhstan. After completing 2 years of an economics degree there, I came to the U.S. with an intention to get a better education and pursue another major. I decided to settle down on economics and environmental studies.

Before coming to the U.S., I thought of education here as giving thousands of opportunities and options. However, when I got to UNC, I was faced with obscure requirements and constantly changing rules that caused a lot of trouble during my stay at UNC.

The undergraduate admissions office transferred my classes without giving specific course numbers, and I ended up with unnecessary electives.

But I can’t give in. I got far enough to find more opportunities. I believe that everybody should be allowed to pursue his or her goals, and I’m going to do my best to make mine real.

I hope that the ninth semester rule will be reconsidered, as every student has a reason for taking an additional semester to graduate.

Aizhan Toregozhina ’14
Environmental studies
Economics