In order to provide a productive and sound living and learning atmosphere, UNC must provide a safe and secure haven for all of its students and staff.

The Student Safety and Security Committee, which is charged to oversee the allocation of the Safety and Security Fee, has provided student-led initiatives resources that strive for a safer UNC campus.

The P2P Express buses have real-time tracking through NextBus so that students do not have to stand in the stops for an unsafe amount of time. OneAct hosts regular trainings and events to prevent interpersonal violence and teach UNC students to be active bystanders. SafeWalk, a safe buddy system operated late night, has in recent years been able to expand its services to Greek and some off-campus housing.

All of these programs and initiatives were successful because of Safety and Security funding. I hope that, in this academic year, we can do more to create a safer and more secure learning atmosphere.

If your organization or department has ideas that can achieve this goal, consider contacting the Student Safety and Security Committee at sssc@unc.edu. Safety is every Tar Heel’s responsibility — please join us in answering that call.

Connor Brady ’14
Chairman
Student Safety and Security Committee