In a few decades, the kids on the playground might be drafting legislation or performing surgeries.

That’s one of the reasons why N.C. Rep. Hugh Blackwell (R-Burke) said the most important political issue North Carolina voters face is education policy.

Blackwell, who is chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Education and a UNC alumnus, emphasized the importance of choosing the right path of education reform at a UNC School of Education event Tuesday.

“Will we continue to sort of try to change the pieces and stick to the same approach?” he said. “Or will we try to do things differently?”

Blackwell addressed an audience of about 70 after several education professors and students made presentations on various aspects of education policy.

At the event, professors presented on topics including value-added models, school choice and teacher quality. Then students made presentations on the education platform of each presidential candidate.

Senior elementary education major Julie Payment, who presented President Obama’s education platform, said she volunteered to participate.

“It was mostly to cement my view on the candidates and to help me be a more informed voter,” she said.

She said undergraduate students should be concerned with education policy on the federal level.

“If you’re applying for federal grants, or if you’re trying to get money for financial aid, it’s important,” she said.

Elementary education professor Julie Justice, who organized the event, said too many students are uninformed about the issues, in part because most undergraduate students have never voted in a presidential election before.

She said the event provided unbiased information on the education reform strategies of each candidate.

Blackwell said being a knowledgeable voter is important.

“I think what’s important is whether a person is going to vote,” he said. “What’s important is how you vote. What’s important is being an informed voter.”

“For people who aren’t (education) majors and (education) minors, it still matters,” she said. “Education matters to everybody.”

She added that UNC students should be concerned even with education at the primary level.

“The way we educate our children is going to determine where the world is in 10 or 15 years,” she said.

Justice said today’s children will eventually work for us and with us.

“Before you know it they’re going to be our leaders.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.