Few would deny that Orange, Durham and Wake Counties have rapidly grown in the last three decades and expert predictions are for continued population increases.

As someone who lives in north Orange county and frequently commutes to Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh, I can personally attest to the increase in traffic on rural roads as well as our interstates.

If you’ve ever been on I-40 between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., you know about traffic congestion.

If you believe that more automotive traffic is in our future and want to do something to change that, then voting for the Orange County Transit Plan is a vote in the right direction.

A quarter cent sales tax equals an extra five cents on a $10 purchase. I think we can all afford that.

And, even though rural residents may think that they will not ever use a bus or a train, they still will benefit from an easier commute because of all those who will use public transportation.

World class cities all have efficient mass transportation systems, some albeit put in place after overwhelming congestion and heavy infrastructure were firmly established.

In the Triangle, we still have the opportunity to plan and build with minimal disruption and prepare for the transportation challenges that are inevitable.

We all win with an efficient, comprehensive transportation system. This is money well spent.

Sam Lasris
Cedar Grove
Dentist