Saturday, June 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

The inspiration for Alan Shapiro’s book of poetry “Night of the Republic” came from a 2 a.m. visit to Harris Teeter.

“No one was there, but it was so lit up and looked so strange to me so I started thinking how every space must look this strange when it’s not being used for the purpose it’s designed for,” said Shapiro, a UNC English professor currently on leave.

“That’s when I started writing those kinds of poems about public places that seem like they’re haunted by private desires and dreams and obsessions.”

Last week, Shapiro’s book, which focuses on the eerie void left at deserted places, was named a finalist in the poetry division for the National Book Award.

Daniel Wallace, director of UNC’s creative writing program and a longtime friend of Shapiro’s, emphasized how difficult that is to do.

“For those who aren’t aware of the National Book Award and what it means, it’s like getting to the finals of the NBA,” Wallace said.

Shapiro said his favorite aspect of writing is making something out of language and teaching that act to his students of creative writing and poetry.

Sarah Huener, a 2012 UNC graduate, is currently an MFA candidate of poetry at Boston University. She took an advanced poetry class and a year-long senior honors thesis class with Shapiro, and she said her writing improved by leaps and bounds under his direction.

“One of the most important things he taught was that writing is about you working with what you produce intensely, and you being satisfied with it and the people you respect being satisfied with it,” Huener said.

“And this is ironic because of his nomination — but it’s not really about awards or recognition — it’s about the art.”

Shapiro is one of five finalists who were nominated for the award.

“The National Book Award is one of, if not the most, prestigious award that you can be nominated for,” Wallace said.

“I know it’s a cliche, but just to be nominated is an incredible honor considering the number of books that are read to narrow the list down to only five poets. It’s phenomenal.”

Wallace said Shapiro’s versatility is one of the characteristics that sets him apart as a poet.

“He has an ability to write accessible narratives that are at the same time allusive in ways that deepen the poem but are not always necessary to understand and appreciate the poem itself.”

Shapiro said he received the call informing him of his nomination Oct. 9 while at his home in the mountains of Virginia.

Shapiro said that whether he receives the award or not, he already feels like a winner.

“There’s a great quote from Truman Capote that says, ‘In this profession it’s a long walk between drinks,’” Shapiro said.

“And I’m going to nurse this drink for a very long time.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.