Last week, Tar Heels observed National Food Day with a Polk Place Farmers’ Market; last night, we celebrated High-Fructose Corn Syrup Day (otherwise known as Halloween) on Franklin Street; three weeks from now, many of us will head home for an American turkey tradition.

For one in four Chapel Hill-Carrboro children, food’s also been on the mind — but instead of agonizing over what brand of candy to give out for Halloween, or whether to gobble down that third tempting slice of Tofurkey, they’re wondering when they’ll get their next meal.

One Chapel Hill-Carrboro elementary school child goes hungry for every three who get enough to eat. That’s on par with the national average.

In response to this sad statistic, Joy MacVane of the Carrboro nonprofit TABLE challenges: “Can’t we do better than that?”

Tar Heel TABLE is a new Campus Y group that supports TABLE’s local child hunger-relief efforts through fundraising and education programs. If you’d like to help our efforts this November, please get a haircut and give a tip at Aveda on Franklin Street.

All tips given to Aveda during November will go toward Tar Heel TABLE and be directly put to work feeding local hungry children. Call 919-960-4769 for a haircut!

Let’s get food off the minds and into the stomachs of local hungry children — and just in time for Thanksgiving.

Glenn Lippig ‘15
Nina Bryce ‘13
Co-chairs
Tar Heel TABLE