On Tuesday, I wrote a letter on why I refuse to vote. A common criticism was that refusing to vote meant giving up my voice with regards to the political system.

This is categorically false. Voting is but one tool we have to create change. I just happen to believe it is our least effective tool.

There are many ways to have an impact on our political system that don’t include voting. I encourage you to discuss your political beliefs and debate the issues with your friends, donate money to causes in which you believe, work to create change through the market system or even write a letter to the editor if you’re desperate.

The spread of ideas has done more to change the world than a vote could ever accomplish. As far as I can tell, every major movement in American history has begun with well-reasoned discussion and passionate advocacy rather than votes. Abolition, women’s suffrage and civil rights all got their start when concerned citizens acted outside the political system to change a great injustice.

I am working to change the world around me for the better. I am exercising my voice. I just choose not to exercise it against the brick wall that is our national election.

R. Kyle Evans ’15
School of Law