As a fiscal conservative, the idea of raising taxes would generally make me cringe. But the transit referendum that’s on the ballot in Orange County is not just about one party or issue; it’s about everyone who cares about the future economic success of this county.

Orange County voters have the opportunity to vote on a referendum that, if passed, would raise a half-cent sales tax to expand public transit.

Specifically this referendum will expand bus service (including nights and weekends), add an Amtrak station in Hillsborough, put bus rapid transit on MLK Boulevard and eventually build light rail between UNC and downtown Durham.

By 2030, the population of the Triangle is projected to increase by 1 million to roughly 2.7 million. Our roads are already congested between and within Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill, and our current transit system simply cannot support that massive influx.

If Orange County is going to attract more talent and business growth, we must ensure that this is an attractive place for people to come live.

The current annual delay for Triangle residents due to traffic congestion is already 40 hours, and that will only further increase with more people. We need alternatives.

Residents and students have a choice: They can vote against a minimal tax today and pay the price of a stifled economy in the near future, or they can vote for making a small investment now that will produce a stronger economic future and the development of a safer, cleaner, more livable Triangle.

Wallace Gram ‘15
Political science
Public policy